BE SELFISH FOR ONCE

 



BE SELFISH FOR ONCE

In most African homes, you’ll find her.

The woman who cooks before sunrise and sleeps after midnight.

The woman who gives the last piece of meat to her child and says “I’m not hungry.”

The woman who pays school fees, hospital bills, and church offerings but hasn’t bought new shoes for herself in 3 years.She is Mom. She is Aunty. She is Grandma.

She is sacrifice personified.And we’ve called it love for so long that we forgot to call it what it really is: exhaustion.

THE LIE WE WERE TAUGHT

Growing up, we were told a “good woman” is a woman who empties herself.

A good mother puts her children first. Always.

A good wife puts her husband and home first. Always.

Her needs? Her dreams? Her rest? That can wait.So she waits.

She waits until the kids graduate.

She waits until the house is built.

She waits until “things get better.”But “better” never comes, because she never poured anything back into herself.

WHY “BEING SELFISH” IS ACTUALLY HOLY

Let’s redefine selfish for a second.

Selfish doesn’t mean abandoning your family.

Selfish means: I matter too.Jesus went to quiet places to rest.

Even God rested on the 7th day.

If rest was good enough for Him, why do we think African mothers don’t deserve it?Being “selfish for once” looks like:

Taking 30 minutes a day that’s just yours. No cooking, no cleaning, no WhatsApp groups. Just tea, a book, or silence.

Saying no. No to extra chores. No to lending money you don’t have. No to guilt trips.

Investing in you. A course. A check-up. A hairstyle. Clothes that aren’t just for church. You are not only a provider.

Asking for help. Let the kids wash dishes. Let your husband cook. Let your sister watch the baby. You were never meant to carry everything alone.


TO THE DAUGHTER/SON READING THIS

Stop expecting your mom to be a superhero.

Ask her: “Mama, what do YOU want?”

Buy her something just because.

Give her a day off.She spent her life making sure you lacked nothing. Don’t let her lack herself.


TO THE WOMAN READING THIS

I know it feels wrong. I know guilt will whisper “you’re being selfish.”

But a dry well cannot water a garden.

A tired, sick, bitter woman cannot raise joyful, whole children.Taking care of yourself is not taking away from your family.

It’s how you keep showing up for them for the next 20 years.So be selfish for once.

Go to the doctor.

Save money in your own account.

Start that small business.

Sleep 8 hours.

Laugh with your friends.The world won’t fall apart if you put yourself first for once.

But you might just fall back together.You deserve care too.

Not after the children are grown.

Not after everyone else is okay.

Now!!!


💖 Affirmations for Busy Moms

✨ I matter too. 🌸 Rest is productive. 💞 I can love my family and myself. 🌼 Asking for help is strength. ☀️ Today I choose me for 30 minutes.

REMEMBER YOU CANNOT POUR OUT OF AN EMPTY CUP!!!!
Tag a woman who needs to hear this. And mama, what’s one ‘selfish’ thing you’ll do for yourself this week? Tell me in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TRAUMA BONDING

I'm a Foreigner in South Africa. Can I Legally Place My Child for Adoption?